Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Gluten Free Soft Pretzels? Oh Yes! #glutenfree #gfree

If you're like me, and didn't discover your gluten issues until you were already decades into your life, then you understand how difficult it is to replace food items that we once treasured (yet, undoubtedly took for granted). Now, while they vary from person to person, the reaction is usually the same: *BIG SIGH* . Every time we spot them in a store we feel that pang of longing. See them being eaten by someone at a sporting event, and we know they just don't appreciate the true lusciousness of said item like we do.

Well, for me, one of the foods I have missed the most is a nice hot Soft Pretzel. So imagine how positively giddy I was when I happened upon a box of gluten free ones while wandering through Wegmans. I was over the freaking moon at the prospect! So I snagged a box of those Tonya's Gluten Free Kitchen pretzels and put them in my cart.



Once I was home, it was time to get the pretzel party started! While looking the cooking instructions, I also checked out the ingredients. For a Gluten Free product, the list of ingredients is relatively simple: Rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca flour, milk, sugar, butter, eggs, potato flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, yeast, and salt. Considering that so many gluten free product ingredient lists are loaded with things only scientists can decipher, I was pleased by this.  I pulled 2 out of the box and got them ready for baking by wiping the surface with a wee bit of water and sprinkling on some of the enclosed salt (Which I was happy to see was in a resealable pouch), and popped them into the toaster oven.

Seven minutes later, they emerged, hot, brown, and smelling absolutely divine! There they were, golden brown pieces of divinity sitting on my plate and I could no longer stand the anticipation. I took a bite, and was blown away by the heavenly bits of deliciousness. These little gems are soft and buttery, with a hint of sweetness....precisely what I look for in a soft pretzel! Wahoooo!!
 I love it when a product lives up to my hopes and dreams, and these babies have done that. I checked out the Tonya's Gluten Free Kitchen website to see what else they offer, and learned that they also make Soft Pretzel Bites, as well as Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzels and Bites.  I hope to find these other varieties sometime soon.

If you want to see if anyone in your area carries these magnificent morsels, check out the Store Locator on the Tonya's Gluten Free website.

To sum it all up: These Pretzels ROCK! And I think I'm going to go have another...

No comments:

Post a Comment